"I have a warm and non-judgemental approach and pay attention to the client's physical comfort and the physical environment, I treat them with respect and I help clients identify their strengths which helps empower them to believe in themselves."
Counselling & Clinical Psychologist | B. App Sci (Psych), Grad Dip Psych (Couns), M. Psych
Hart Psychologists Certified
1. How many years’ experience do you have practicing / helping clients?
I have 25 years experience counselling adolescents as well as adults.
2. What do you find most rewarding about working with people who have depression?
That I can assist them in finding hope and self-worth to make a better future for themselves and their loved ones.
3. What do you find most rewarding about working with people who have anxiety?
Watching them use strategies to manage their symptoms and so empower them to better manage their life situations.
4. What do you find most rewarding about working with people who are stressed?
Assisting them to review their perspectives on life, what they prioritise and what they do not need in their lives.
5. How do you help clients feel comfortable and supported?
I have a warm and non-judgemental approach and pay attention to their physical comfort and the physical environment, I treat them with respect and I help clients identify their strengths which helps empower them to believe in themselves.
6. What methodologies and/or approaches do you find most helpful?
I have an eclectic approach, basically existential and person centred, using Cognitive Behavioural Therapy techniques and mindfulness (Rational Emotive Therapy, Acceptance and Commitment Therapy, etc).
7. What have clients said about how you have helped them most?
That I take the time to listen and understand their unique situations and that I can discuss issues in a respectful and non-judgmental way, as well as offer a wide range of tools and strategies to help them.
8. What is the best or most heart-warming feedback you’ve received from a client?
A thank you note received a few days after I convinced a suicidal client to let me call an ambulance when he was losing consciousness through a deliberate overdose and alcohol consumption. Without medical intervention he would likely have died and he expressed gratitude at surviving to have another opportunity at living his life.
9. List 3 things that your friends and family would describe you as….
Loyal, honest and caring.
10. List 3 strengths that you have as a psychologist…..
People find me easy to talk to, I am open and flexible in my approach so I try to fit it with clients to help them relax, I have a good knowledge base.
11. Why do you love doing this work?
I like people, and I like helping people.
Wendy is available for phone consultations for clients who are unable to attend the clinic.