"I love working as a psychologist, to see lives changed and clients feel their future is full of hope; or just to be with others in their suffering if that is all that they seek."
BSc (Psych); Grad Dip Psychotherapy
Hart Psychologists Certified
1. How many years’ experience do you have practicing / helping clients?
I have practiced as a psychologist since registration in 1995, and previously worked as a counsellor on and off from 1980 to 1995 - so more than 35 years.
2. What do you find most rewarding about working with people who have depression?
Seeing clients experience a future full of hope.
3. What do you find most rewarding about working with people who have anxiety?
Seeing clients experience freedom and control and empowerment.
4. What do you find most rewarding about working with people who are stressed?
Seeing clients regain a sense of order and control and peace rather than chaos in their life.
5. How do you help clients feel comfortable and supported?
I am a very warm person and build rapport quickly with clients. I use gentleness, a smile, sometimes humour. I have extensive counselling skills and enable the client to feel really heard and understood.
6. What methodologies and/or approaches do you find most helpful?
I use psycho education, strengths based/life coaching approaches, solution focused, psycho dynamic approaches, Cognitive behavioural therapy, Relaxation and mindfulness and a lot of heath and well being work.
7. What have clients said about how you have helped them most?
That they feel listened to and understood; they have felt their experiences were normalised; they have felt confident that the strategies and support they have received will enable them experience much better mental health.
8. What is the best or most heart-warming feedback you’ve received from a client?
Thankfully lots to remember. One stands out though….a beautiful young woman who had been hospitalised and experiencing acute depression for many years, is now after 12 months or so able to work, enjoying social life etc again. Her life is her feedback.
9. List 3 things that your friends and family would describe you as….
warm, friendly, generous in helping others in need
10. List 3 strengths that you have as a psychologist…..
More than 30 years experience, warmth, excellent people skills
11. Is there a particular age group you work with?
NO. I see clients aged from 16 years to 80+ years on a regular basis and have the skills to be able to meet each one accordingly.
12. Why do you love doing this work?
To see lives changed and clients feel their future is full of hope; to be with others in their suffering when that is all that they seek.