"The most heart-warming feedback I’ve received from a client is...“If it were not for you I would not be here to-day”"
BA Psychology and Social Communications, BA (Hons) Psychology
Hart Psychologists Certified
Altona Meadows, Moonee Ponds
1. How many years’ experience do you have practicing / helping clients?
I have 17 years in private practice helping people overcome their anxiety and depression. Previously I have worked as: a Personal Care Attendant in a facility that houses people with a long history of psychiatric disability; a Community Support Worker; an Outreach Housing Worker; a Youth Worker and lastly an Employment Consultant.
2. What do you find most rewarding about working with people who have depression?
The most rewarding for me is being there for them when they cannot be there for themselves; instilling hope; providing psycho-education so they can understand themselves better; providing Cognitive and Behavioural interventions and developing the skills to bring about a perceptual, emotional and behaviour shift.
I find all this extremely rewarding because clients can bring the best out of themselves and live much fuller, happier and relaxed lives.
3. What do you find most rewarding about working with people who have anxiety?
As above and also that anxiety can be treatable. Seeing people learn the techniques to live a more relaxed lifestyle is a huge payoff for me.
4. How do you help clients feel comfortable and supported?
By being genuinely interested in them their background, and their recovery. By showing empathy, care, understanding, normalizing their experiences when and as necessary and most of all by believing them and not judging them.
5. What methodologies and/or approaches do you find most helpful?
Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, Emotion Focused Therapy, Narrative Therapy, Resource Therapy, Mindfulness and some Dialectical Behaviour Therapy.
6. What have clients said about how you have helped them most?
This is from an email I received from one of my clients in September 2016:
Tony I thank you for
- listening to me
- never controlling me
- never judging me for anything I have thought or done
- giving me space as a human being
- always treating me with dignity
- showing me love and care in how you interacted with me
- helping me to calm down when I was extremely upset
- listening to my feedback so that I didn't get overwhelmed in sessions
- always being happy to see me. My parents were never glad to see me and to have you smile with a genuine smile and welcome me, every single session, even when I was in a locked down and anxious state, that meant so much
- always putting my welfare first, and never putting a theory or a technique ahead of me
- having hope for my recovery, time and again
- believing me
- always being patient and letting me grow as a human being at my own pace and in my own way
7. What is the best or most heart-warming feedback you’ve received from a client?
“If it were not for you I would not be here to-day”
8. List 3 things that your friends and family would describe you as:
9. What are your strengths as a psychologist?
- First hand experience of anxiety and depression in the late 80’s which is why I came into Psychology;
- A naturally happy predisposition;
- A burning desire to serve others.
10. Why do you love doing this work?
- Because it is a great opportunity for me to use the talents that have been given to me, to assist others;
- Because I love ‘loving’ people in a pastoral and professional way;
- Because God put me on this earth to serve people after qualifying from the “University of Life’ in the late 80’s
11. What do your clients report after the appropriate treatment interventions?
Feeling happy within themselves; experiencing significant reductions in their Depression, Anxiety and Stress levels; starting to enjoy life again; feeling motivated, energized and more relaxed; looking forward to pleasurable activities; enjoying better family, social and occupational relationships and most importantly enjoying a better relationship with themselves through feeling happiness, peace and calm from within.